Friday, February 28, 2014

I feel challenged by my name— Finnest, Music Artiste


   *Finnest
Herbert Patrick Onyebuchi popularly known as ‘Finnest’ is one of the rising music stars who holds a lot of promises for this generation. Having started his journey into music since 2010, Finnest is poised to rule the nation’s airwaves in future. In this interview, he shares his passion as well as his desire to emerge as one of the best up and coming artistes in Nigeria.



Let’s meet you!
My name is Herbert Patrick Onyebuchi popularly known as ‘Finnest.’ I am an artiste from Imo state. I do R n B – Hip hop.

How did you get the name ‘Finnest’?
I got the name from a couple of friends way back in High School. Since then, I’ve kept the name and it means a lot to me. It is said that great power comes with great responsibility. So, I’m trying my best to live up to the expectations that come with the name ‘Finnest’.

What inspired your decision to go into music?
I didn’t just start singing. As a matter of fact, I’ve been in the Church choir (Deeper Life Bible Church) since my childhood. But I started singing professionally in 2010, when I released my first single, ‘Baby Girl Come Back.’ It’s presently on air, but I got signed to a record label officially in 2012. Since then, I’ve been working on releasing my maiden album.

How many songs have you done so far?
I can’t say, but I’ve done a couple of singles. I have a video ‘Omoge’. which is currently enjoying good airplay. The video is being played on Soundcity, MTV Base and our local stations too.




What challenges did you encounter on your journey into music?
I encountered a lot of challenges. As an upcoming artiste, it’s not easy projecting yourself, it’s always difficult. I’m trying my best to get my name stamped in the industry. I believe with the help of God, it will soon happen.

Coming from a christian background,what were your parents’ reaction when you decided to go into music?
At first, it wasn’t easy to convince them, because my parents are highly religious. Being in the church choir at a point and then becoming an R n B artiste, a public figure was too much for them to handle. But with time, they learnt to live with it.

Why did you choose the R n B genre of music?
I can’t say it’s basically RnB. I do a lot of things; I’m a rapper and I also do high life. Though I do more of RnB-Hiphop.

What should your fans be expecting from you?
I have a lot of things in stock. I just dropped a new single, it’s a highlife kind of music titled, ‘Finnest, No Dey Tire’. It’s out there in the market. My management is working round the clock and very soon, the video will be out. I’m also working on other songs that are yet to be released.

Have you worked with other artistes, like doing a collabo ?
I’ve worked with some artistes but they are budding artistes like myself. I ‘m working towards doing a song with Olamide and Phyno before the end of March.

Besides music, are you thinking of branching out into other aspects of entertainment?
Besides music, I’m also a footballer. But I had to abandon football in order to focus on my music.

Who are those you look up to in the industry?
My number one mentor is D’banj, the Koko Master. Foreign artistes such as R.Kelly, Jay-Z, Rihanna, Beyonce also inspired me. I love Wizkid too.

Where are you hoping to see yourself, five years from now?
I want to see myself as one of the best artistes to come out of Nigeria and be respected on the world stage.

What kind of person are you?
I’m a simple dude, God-fearing. I try to keep my cool, be myself, despite being a singer.

What’s your family and educational background?
I’m the fourth child in a family of six children. I was born and brought up here in Lagos. I studied Business Administration at the Lagos State Polytechnic.

Any last words to fans?
They should expect nothing but the best from me. Like I said earlier, the name ‘Finnest’ is a challenge to me and I intend to keep the fire burning.

How is the name a challenge?
‘Finnest’ is all about portraying the best, letting people see that you are the best and you have to do things to show that you are really the best. That’s what the name means to me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...