Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I’m ready for male attention — Biola Ige


 

Ige
Fast-rising actress, Biola Ige, talks about acting and her semi-nude picture that trended online
 What triggered your interest in the make-believe industry?
I became an actress because I developed a passion for it. I had explored education and modelling as well. I strongly believed I was destined to become an actress. As fate would have it, I met some people in the movie industry who inspired me wholly. It was then I decided to take my first shot at acting and I haven’t looked back since then. l moved to Lagos after my university education. I went for auditions in Lagos and landed my first role in a movie produced by OJ Productions.
 Who inspired you to take to acting?
My father has been a great inspiration. Even when I was a child, he encouraged his children to watch good movies. Apart from being a good father who ensured that I received quality education, he did not fail to encourage me to fervently pursue my dream of being an actress. I will always be grateful to him.
 Did you have a privileged upbringing?

I am from Ilesha in Osun State. I was born into a beautiful family of five. I am actually the last child of my mother and I was pampered to some extent. I was born in Wukari, Taraba State and I had an amazing childhood. My father worked hard and provided for us and my mother was equally amazing. I was a bit of a tomboy but I am grateful to God for having a family life filled with love and encouragement.
 What schools did you attend?
I attended Jenkabi Nursery and Primary School Wukari and Yak Sin Government Day Secondary School, Wukari which I completed at Unity Grammar School, Ikaare Irede. I had my undergraduate studies at the University of Jos.
 Did your colleagues in Nollywood stand by you when you suffered a health challenge?
I fell ill and the results of the tests ran by doctors showed that I had a thyroid problem. I had to travel to India for treatment. I am not looking for people to stand by me. God is my number one and he was by my side because now, I am well and good.
 How many movies have you featured in?
I have featured in about over 20movies including Blackmail; Holy City; My Fantasy; Ground Player; Dearest Link, My flavour; and Pregnant hawkers.
 Which is your most challenging role till date?
That will have to be ‘Shakira’. It was filmed in Ghana and that was the movie that launched my career. Luckily, I had a producer who believed in me.
 Who are those people you admire in the industry?
I admire everyone I have worked with and my colleagues in the industry. Nobody is more special than the other. They are all unique personalities with unique talents that make each and every one of them stand out.
 What attracts you to a role?
I picture the role and character in my mind. I like challenging roles that would bring out the best in me and then, people can see a new side to me. I don’t like stereotypes. As an actress, you have to be versatile. Versatility is key to grow in the movie industry.
 Any regrets being an actress?
I do not like certain things but that is not to say I have any regrets. I don’t enjoy the fact that people tend to discuss you even when they don’t know you are or where you are coming from. I don’t enjoy the fact that I cannot do regular things like boarding a public bus or buying roast plantain. Even your fans expect you to be fake.
 What excites you most about being a celebrity?
I am not sure what excites me but I am super excited at being able to do what I love, and getting paid for it.
A semi-nude picture of you surfaced online a while ago. ….
The movie was titled ‘Pregnant Hawkers’. It was a photograph I took with Muna Obiekwe on the set of a movie. It was a great movie and I don’t regret taking part in the movie.
 What was the reaction from family and friends when the picture began to trend on the social media?
My family and friends know who I am. They were totally with me on the photo episode. No one took it that seriously and they all knew it was part of my movie role!
Did you feel like quitting after that picture went viral?
No I didn’t! I set the record straight and continued working on my projects. I am not one to allow distractions get in the way of my work.
 Are you in a relationship?
I am single and learning about myself daily. I love it, but I am also looking forward to meeting the right person.
 Apart from acting, what else do you do for a living?
I dug a single seed into the ground, I hope it grows.
 How do you relax?
When I am not working I love to read a lot of inspirational books. I also enjoy R&B music.
 Most actors want to be producers. Is this also your dream?
I admire multi-talented people. However, producing movies is not something I want to jump into right now. I am enjoying my career as an actress.
 How do you cope with attention from the opposite sex?
Every woman receives attention from the opposite sex. I don’t feel particularly special about it. I respect myself as a woman, I take pride in my profession and I act accordingly. Attention from the opposite sex is very welcome but usually amounts to nothing.
 What is your definition of style?
Dress for yourself and not for others. I like comfortable clothing that fit.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...