Thursday, May 28, 2015

As a married woman, I still get advances from men –Faith Morey



Faith Morey
Background
My name is Faith Morey and I am an international model. I am from Ikwerre in Rivers State. I grew up in a religious family. My grandmother taught us family and religious values. I have three siblings, my biological father is deceased and my mum is a retired nurse. I am presently rounding off my Bachelor’s degree programme in Human Resources at Lone Star College, Houston Texas, United States of America.
Modelling
I started modelling in 2008, after the Rivers State MVP basketball competition. I won the competition and while I was being interviewed, they called for a five-minute break. As I watched television back stage, I saw Naomi Campbell on the runway. Right there, I decided that was what I was supposed to do. I wanted to be like the woman I saw on television, who was bold and confident.
In 2009, I entered for the Most Beautiful Girl in Nigeria pageant, but I never made it to the second batch. My life changed after Nigeria’s Next Super Model competition in 2009.
Love and Marriage
I am grateful for my modelling career because it led me to my husband. You have to love someone to
marry them and stay married. The love and bond between couples keep their marriage. My husband is supportive of my career.
Motherhood
Being a mother has changed my life in a tremendous way; I wouldn’t imagine a life without my son. Being a mum taught me patience, unconditional love and how to be open to negotiation. I love every aspect of motherhood. Being a mother keeps me on my toes. You do not know what it is to be selfless until you have a child.
Competition
Competition among models in Nigeria and abroad is the same, but the only advantage is the good payment. The international industry is very developed and organised. In Texas, the perfect model is a white girl with blue eyes and there are only a few companies that hire black models. Black girls fight for a place in the international modelling industry.
Personality
I am outlandish. When people see me, they say I am pretty and perfect, and my close friends say I am a weird average girl. I could say I am shy when I walk into a room full of people. However, I am confident at the same time because I am not afraid to express myself. I am principled, old fashioned and family-oriented. I am a goal getter and very ambiguous.
Male distraction
When you are backstage, you barely have the time to check out male models; you would be busy trying to calm your nerves before you get on stage. I have a family to consider. I would not want to throw my family away for my guilty pleasures. Even as a married woman, I still get advances from men. It only reminds me that I am a beautiful, black and intelligent woman. I would check the mirror the day I stop having admirers.
Challenges
As a starter, I had to learn to be a lady. Nobody wanted to give a dress to a tomboy. My toned legs posed a challenge. Nigerians have their version of how a sexy leg should look, and a curved or toned leg wasn’t it. I used to wear trousers to castings so they could pick me for my walk and not my legs. I came to the US and I realised the sexiest legs were the curved legs. Now, when I walk on the street, women approach me to ask who my trainer is. Also, as a six-foot model wearing a size 11 shoe, it was difficult to get my size. I used to keep my legs behind my seat, so people would not see my toes sticking out of my shoes. It was quite embarrassing.
Hobbies
I love to go to the movies with my husband, son and friends; take a good run to clear my head or play basketball with my brothers. My family comes first. And most of the time I travel with my son when I have out-of-state jobs or international shows. I try to juggle between family, career and school. Also, I have interests in acting and image consulting.
Beauty tips
Everyone is different, what works for you might not work for another person. My son is almost four years old and I never visited a gym until last year because my brother persuaded me to do so for health reasons. Some people have good genes; others have to work out to stay fit. I try to eat healthy, I fail some times and I do not go hard on myself. Next day, I try again. I still struggle each day to maintain a healthy diet and workout routine.
Style
People mistake style for brand. My style is a reflection of how I feel. Often times, I combine outfits from different designers and when I step out, people scream and ask where I got the outfits from. I like shorts, shirts and a pair of heels. I love shoes and I splurge on them when I shop

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...